Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Memories and recipes...of food

This is first of all a post for daddy! Thanks for the wonderful salad you treated me to while I was there. I had flashbacks of Italy with every bite I took. I was truly in Heaven. Check this out! (Aren't you jealous.) That there is salad topped with real imported Parmesan cheese, curdo salami, and olives. YUM!

*

Next is something I made recently and will make for you guys too, if we ever have that Italian pasta night/ family gathering thingy that you want me go over and cook for. :)

It's...kida European? Italian/French ehe! It's french bread that's toasted and buttered. The topping is made up of diced fresh tomatoes with basil, salt and olive oil. Very simple and yummy.
And preferably... (depending on how much cash you have or what comes in provisioning( TOM HOME!), ditch the butter and go for Camembert cheese instead. It's a delight! (at least I think so)

And last but not least some old pix of a day out with Andy...these were the kings of the hamburger world I'll tell you! SO fresh and nice. This is mine, a saute burger with mushrooms and cheese. (you HAD to eat it with a knife and fork, it was too big to try and pick up)
Laura's was triple cheese or something like that.
Andy and his egg sandwiches and chocolate milk shake.

6 comments:

Mika said...

whoaa!!! wait a sec, Italian/family gathering pasta night? why was I not informed about this? and when and where will it take place!!!! I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!!!!!! ehem, I can't make pasta, but I like to watch people make it, while I sit in the corner with my beer and laugh at the cooks! call me!!

Anonymous said...

Dad can put together yummy things when he wants to! GO DADDY! I still remember his famous biscuts (which mom got mad at me for not being able to copy) and his custards when we were sick.
Sweet daddy!

Anonymous said...

Ummm yes! Daddy's biscuits! Too bad he was never able to pass on the recipe because he never had one it was just all memorized and all in how it felt...he was just that good...sigh.

Unknown said...

Biscuits are easy, Flower-baking powder or baking soda-butter or lard or bacon grease (last is best) - milk - pinch of salt. First guess at the flower amount you need, add the baking powder or soda but not too much or you can taste it (stings the tongue when finished). Then just a tad of salt. Next add the butter or lard or bacon grease to the dry mixed stuff just until the flower will hold if you squeeze it, too much and yuck! Put in enough milk to make it all mix, note don't handle the dough more than necessary as it will not be so fluffy, it will be more like thin hard lead bread. Pop into the oven or oven toaster and wallah add butter or honey or both and enjoy, nice with wine or milk and eggs. There now you have the recipe, you can find it on line or on a box of bisquick, almost anywhere, biscuits or scones have been around a lot longer than me. According to Wikipedia biscuits have been around since the 1800's.

Anonymous said...

yes, i've googled scones/biscuit recipes and I have made them on several occasions but they never really came out like yours Dad, or at least from what I remember yours being like.
But I have it on my mind to try it out once more!

Mika said...

ahahahaha
scones, and biscutes! yum, haven't eaten anything that resembles home cooked food recently, I miss that, anyway lets get together soon and have some yummy dinner,